1909 H.M. King Rehabilitation Project
"Preservation IS Education! Help Keep Mrs. King's Dream Alive!"
In the early 1900’s, Henrietta M. King (1832-1925), window of Captain Richard King, founder of world famous King Ranch, provided the land and the funds for construction of a new high school in the town their family had helped to found. The 1909 Henrietta M. King High School is an example of just how dedicated the King family and its heirs have been to the community of Kingsville and Kleberg County, Texas. Without the foresight, generosity, and tenacity of Mrs. King, the ranch, the town, the university, and this building would not exist as the do today.
One of Mrs. King's charges to the builders was to include architectural characteristics of the missions in San Antonio. The façade has three towers: one representing the Alamo; one the Mission Conception; and one the San Jose Mission. The building was recorded as a Texas Historic Landmark, with a marker erected in 1981, and listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1983.
Completed in 1909, the school housed all grades of the Kingsville school system. Rebuilt after an interior fire in 1925, it remained in use as the high school until 1964; thereafter, it was used as a junior high school and an adult education center until closed permanently in the late 1980’s. Since that time this marvelous historical structure has stood vacant and thus has suffered major deterioration.